Spend just 5 minutes a day of implementing breathing exercises and mindfulness techniques can transform your classroom, reduce outbursts, and create a calmer environments.
Reduce outbursts and create a calm classroom environment by implementing breathing exercises and mindfulness techniques!
Calm Caterpillar provides schools with a set of products and curriculum that promotes teaching emotional regulation in the classroom.
➔ Proven to grow kids' prosocial skills and decrease conduct problems, 95% of parents said their child built a greater ability to calm down
➔ Based on the science of mindfulness and the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) methodology
➔ 88% of teachers adopted hand breathing in their classrooms
➔ Backed by 5+ years of school-based programming, 81% of teachers wanted to see the program again next year
➔ Provides simple & accessible tools for meeting state social emotional learning standards, easing the burden on educators
Social Emotional Learning Tools for the Classroom
Our Calm Corner Kit for the classroom includes everything you need to build a welcoming space where students can learn foundational tools to manage difficult emotions.
Calmee's Classroom Calm Corner Kit Includes:
- Teacher Guide: your blueprint for modeling mindfulness techniques that have been successful with over 10,000 children
- Calmee the Caterpillar: weighted, plush toy that expands to teach breathing exercies
- Tree stump sitting cushion: a fun and cozy seat for students who need a moment of calm
- Expandable breathing ball: a kid-friendly tool for practicing mindful breathing
- Hand-breathing + Emotions poster: visual reminders of the Calm Caterpillar techniques for physical and emotional regulation
Meet Calmee the Caterpillar, the adorable and ultra huggable stuffed animal designed to be the perfect class pet! Not only is Calmee a delightful addition to any learning environment, it also has a special mission: to help students practice valuable deep breathing techniques and emotional regulation techniques. Each week, this endearing caterpillar will accompany one lucky student home to continue its important work. Calmee Class Pet also comes with a Class Journal, a step-by-step implementation guide that equips teachers to instruct on deep breathing techniques, paired with a journal where students can document Calmee's adventures and their own personal growth.
Core Concept: Breath Matters
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we're doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what's going on around us. It involves exercises like meditation, deep breathing, guided imagery and body movement. Evidence shows that practicing mindfulness can reduce stress and anxiety while improving physical wellbeing.
Unlocking the Mind-Body Connection
When stress hits, our breathing changes as part of the "fight-or-flight" response. The good news? We can intentionally adjust our breathing to work through challenging emotions. We know from a scientific perspective that when you take a deep breath, the vagus nerve signals your nervous system to lower your heart rate, blood pressure and cortisol (stress hormone).
The Calm Caterpillar teaches
• This foundational technique entails breathing in and out while tracing your fingers, bringing your focus back to the present moment.
• Hand breathing is key to making the connection between breath and emotional control for kids.
• It requires no screen and can be done anywhere, any time.
• Kids as young as two years old are able to grasp the concept.
Think about a person's emotional state like a stoplight. We want to help kids practice hand breathing in the green state as much as possible before working to utilize it in the yellow or red state.
The Calm Caterpillar's Proven Impact: Raising Resilience
In a University of Cincinnati study of preschoolers using The Calm Caterpillar tools, teachers reported that their students':
Prosocial Skills (e.g., empathy) increased +
Conduct Problems ( e.g., disruption) decreased -
Social Competence increased +
"lt's really helping students understand that, even when you're frustrated, you have something at your fingertips that you can do to help control how you feel."
- Superintendent lranetta Rayborn Wright Cincinnati Public Schools
Continuing the Journey at Home
Calm Caterpillar's tools for parents and caregivers help create a calm home environment and reinforce the mindfulness techniques kids learn in school.
Join our online community